[lbo-talk] French and German navies may join the Russian fleet in the Ara...

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Sat Apr 5 17:58:18 PST 2003

The translation as posted is basically correct. Based on some wording differences, it seems likely the article at the Russian link (Nezavisamaya Gazeta) has been updated, and additional important phrases pop up:

"The Strategic Rocket Forces have been place on a heightened state of military readiness..."

"In the south of the country (Russia)the largest military exercises in the last 10 years have begun"

"The Baltic Fleet has not confirmed ... joint activity with German and French navies... Baltic Fleet Commander Admiral Vladimir Valuev .."preparation is going on for distant deployments ...and it's possible that the Fleet's ships will soon return to the world's ocean."

Below the article are comments from several different people with military or intelligence credentials who were asked "Do you consider Russian military intervention in the Iraq was possible, appropriate, or politically justified?" All said No categorically, but several mentioned the need to press the US through the UN. One also mentioned the right to make profits on the arms market and suggested that Iraq as a member of the UN is a victim of aggression and "Every member of the UN should offer it help, including military help.

Of course I think these broad scale military exercises are just ordinary exercises! Of course I think the Russians are just "following the situation." More like looking out for their commercial interests, satisfying the segment of their polity that is appalled by the proceedings so far.

And I think the possible collision of Russian nationalism as embodied by Russian exercises and Arab Islamist freelancers is just too surrreal to contemplate.

As an aside, I hade time to watch Vremya both Wednesday (4/2) and Friday (4/4). Reportage included both one reported imbedded in Kuwait and someone who looks like an intelligence operative trying to put a positive spin on the Iraqi situation.

Wednesday's news included mention of the Daisy cutter bombs and also cluster bombs. Friday mentioned the possibility of having the UN involved in postwar contracts with the US State Department nominally in favor of this while the House of REpresentatives might be opposed.

DoreneC

PS Maybe after I finish my taxes I will go check out iraqwar.ru ....