[lbo-talk] Bagdad, Tasmania under heavy cyber fire

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sat Apr 5 22:25:18 PST 2003

http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2003/04/05/1049459862442.htm

Bagdad, Tasmania under heavy cyber fire

Sydney Morning Herald April 6 2003

The website of the tiny town of Bagdad in Tasmania, Australia is being bombarded by confused surfers from around the world trying to get through to Iraqis.

Hits to the Bagdad Online Access Centre have more than doubled to 15,000 a day since the war on Iraq began two weeks ago, the website's coordinator Lorraine Bennett said yesterday.

Ms Bennett said most of the hits were messages of support meant for the residents of its namesake Baghdad, in Iraq.

"We're getting messages from Yugoslavia, Italy all over the world," Mrs Bennett told AAP.

"I've tried to reply to as many as I can; telling them this is not Iraq, it's Tasmania, Australia.

"Some people have really put their heart and soul into it but there is just so many.

Mrs Bennett said of the messages she could understand - many are in another language - most were encouraging,.

"A lot of them are telling us good luck in these hard times and to mind the bombs," she said.

Bagdad, a small rural community north of Hobart, has a population of about 650.

AAP -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030406/0dc14614/attachment.htm>