[lbo-talk] teaching the world a lesson redux

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Sun Apr 6 08:02:52 PDT 2003

Hi all,

Do people know Michael Ledeen? He's a neo-con foreign policy big-wig, associated with the American Enterprise Institute, writes often for Commentary and National Review, and was a key player in the Iran-Contra scandal. Anyways, in National Review online, he was quoted as saying "Every ten years or so, the United States needs to pick up some small crappy little country and throw it against the wall, just to show the world we mean business." Now I ask you, isn't this the voice of empire? (Tactitus said something similiar in one of his histories: that small nations like Ireland need to be defeated as an example for the world.).

http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg042302.asp

Best, Jeet -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030406/740aa965/attachment.htm>