[lbo-talk] Atlantic Monthly Editor Killed in Iraq

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sun Apr 6 21:02:44 PDT 2003

"At the risk of seeming ridiculous,

let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by great feelings of love.

It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality."

-Che Guevarra

= = =

I did not agree with Michael Kelley's politics,

and was horrified by his nasty anti-left rhetoric.

But I knew Michael Kelley professionally,

as a journalist,

through a few anecdotal intersections of our work.

I am sad that Michael Kelley died.

And I know you who dance on his grave.

Who celebrate the death of another rich imperialist lapdog.

You have danced before at the smell of the blood of your enemies.

Your political kin have danced in similar fashion for centuries.

And if, through some horrid quirk of fate,

your type of revolution ever took power,

you would dance on my grave,

and the grave of all who criticized your lust for power,

and your zeal for absolute domination,

and your thrill at the certainty of your cause.

The masculinist apocalypse dreams of blood.

No matter what flag is raised over the carnage,

The stench is what history remembers.

-Chip Berlet