[lbo-talk] Nameless & Faceless

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Mon Apr 7 05:25:05 PDT 2003

How can we make them our losses? Personalize them and publicize them.

Right now, I don't even know the name of the poor guy driving Kelly who got dead: why he entered the service, who his family is, whether he had a sweetheart, etc. How can you care about someone without a name or other human attributes? It's horrible that the other death in this incident has been so ignored and depersonalized. Is there any article that mentions this guy by name?

Same thing as far as the Iraqi losses go. I know it sounds flip to say it, but the Onion's article, "Dead Iraqi Would Have Loved Freedom," did an amazing job of this. It put a name, a face, and a life--fictious ones, sure, but plausible nonetheless--where a statistic would have been.

Once you've done that, connect the dots between the two.

There's probably a wealth of information out there about the forgotten dead. Problem is, with Faux News and the Right Wing Madrassas screaming 24/7 about Jessica Lynch et. al, how can you make yourself heard over all that noise? -- Curtiss