[lbo-talk] Re: Ends/Means

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 08:26:46 PDT 2003

The short answer is "yes." Both Trotsky and Dewey make this explicit, and it's obvious that consequentialism requires you to evaluate means by their consequences. jks

"H. Curtiss Leung" <hncl at panix.com> wrote:Do Trotsky or Dewey (or any other consequentialists) then argue against the radical separation of "ends" and "means" on similar grounds? e.g., since there are means that may effect an end in the short term but adversely impunge upon them in the long term, one should look to the sum consequences of an act rather than simply consider if it effects one "end"?