[lbo-talk] Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Apr 7 12:31:00 PDT 2003

Brian O. Sheppard wrote:

>I've found that a lot of people have "clear" views on why the war is
>necessary, alright. What's troubling to me is that often people will offer
>their own sort of armchair quarterbacking opinion on why the war is just,
>and yet this won't have anything to do with Bush and Co.'s own rationale
>is.
>
>For example, someone told me he supported Gulf War 2 because he felt
>sorry for the Kurds. It was a matter of opposing the anti-Kurdish racism
>of Saddam and even the Turkish govt, he said. There have been a lot of
>reasons thrown onto the shit heap of legitimation that Bush and Co. have
>tried to amass, but last I checked, Bush and Co. said nothing about
>fighting Kurdish racism.
>
>For me, it's amazing how many people will invent their own reasons for
>war that appeal to their own conscience, yet which also conveniently allow the Bush
>agenda to proceed. Watching broad sections of the American public become
>nothing more than unpaid State Dept flunkies is nothing short of nauseating.
>
>Brian

Right.

What is interesting here is that the Bush administration has given the American public a buffet of excuses to fight this war. Don't agree with the WMD argument? Then the war is to remove Saddam and liberate the Iraqis. Or you can choose to "support the troops" despite reservations you might have about the war (the Democratic Party's approach).

I'd like to think that the US will look bad after this "war" is over and that Americans will learn the truth, but I'm sure that the American publi will be moved along to the next crisis.

Speaking of manipulating the American public, whatever happened to all of those Code Orange alerts?

Chuck0