[lbo-talk] on lawyers (was Re: war propaganda)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 14:11:44 PDT 2003

No, you and others were saying that lawyers, as part of their job, lie, set up straw arguments and the like. When i pointed out that isn't true, you shift to the different topic of the nature of our class dominated legal system (in which lawyers do not play the controlling part). I concede that what I do for a living is defendthe wealthy and large corporations, and that the economics of living in America, and the legal system as a whole push people like me who'd rather not, other things being equal, in this direction. But you miss the point if you think that lawyers are institutionally liars. Not only is it forbidden, but we don't have to be. jks

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>Well, what I do for a living is defend corporations, mainaly against
>each other. But that doesn't make me liar or a purvetor of shady
>artguments, to keep the discussion on point.

It's got nothing to do with you personally at all. You're clearly a person of excellent character and politics. The same is true of many ad people and investment bankers. It's the social function of the occupation, apart from the individuals who perform it, that's the issue.