[lbo-talk] times letter

westrich at miser.umass.edu westrich at miser.umass.edu
Mon Apr 7 14:18:37 PDT 2003

I wasn't there (I live in Boston now) but the local press said there were 2000 at that Westover (March 22nd) protest. Everyone I know who was there confirms there were "way" more than 1000 "easy". Also, there was a small and hostile counter-protestors at this protest. If you have been to a protest at Westover you know the traffic, the hostile cops, and the massive planes can be pretty intimidating.

It is also important to note that most of the area students were on spring break the week prior to the Westover UFPJ protest. When the students got back things got a lot more interesting evidently (much different and varied actions and tactics). There were 25 student arrests in Northampton when (400 according to press accounts) people protested local Navy periscope maker Kollmorgen and then blocked traffic.

Jim

Quoting Liza Featherstone <lfeather32 at erols.com>:

> As a point of contrast to today's supposed apathy, Zernike mentions a 1972
> sit-in at the Westover Air Force Base in Chicopee, Massachusetts, not far
> from Amherst College, which drew 1,000 people. Funny she should bring that
> up: on March 22 of this year, 1,000 people protested at that base, including
> students from area colleges.

"Be reasonable; demand the impossible now"

--Robb Johnson