[lbo-talk] when in doubt, plagiarize!

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Mon Apr 7 14:22:25 PDT 2003

I was reading Kelley and linked to him before the war started; his stuff was opinion and commentary rather than reportage. But when the bombs started to fall he switched into a "grab-and-post-everything-as-fast-as-I-can!" mode. I was amazed that he was able to do it, but he was doing it, and didn't try to present it as anything but links to mainstream news sites, and stuff he picked up from Stratfor (and some of his readers pillored him for relying on it because they thought Stratfor was untrustworthy.) He attributed and linked to just about everything.

I don't know if he did it deliberately to up traffic to his site, but that's what it did. Hitting the refresh button on your browser when you visited the site had the same appeal that watching a teletype must have had.

I never thought he was doing anything but trying to collate existing materials, and he said so himself at

http://www.agonist.org/archives/000783.html (3/21)

11:55 CST I'm blogging via PDA, bear with me. I really do wish I could

cite all the sources here. If you're upset about it as some people are,

please understand the time constraints I am under. Please also note that

some of the updates are copied and pasted others are not. Just consider

it all from another news source unless I say otherwise. I'm not interested

in pissing anyone off here. I'm just trying to provide a service.

Frankly, I found it impossible to keep up with everything he threw on the page. Given the good old fog o' war, it wasn't worth trying to do anyway. But since he had already said he was collating from other sources, the Wired story seems to be a smear.