[lbo-talk] Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 7 15:22:46 PDT 2003

Nathan Newman wrote:

>But the idea that we should have no opinion and do no organizing to support
>those who resist oppression is repugnant to my idea of global solidarity.
>That kind of national sovereignty argument is just Bull Connor/Pat Buchanan
>states rights rhetoric taken to the global level as its logical end point.
>
>There is absolutely nothing wrong with humanitarian interventionism in
>principle-- the left has believed in it for centuries.

When conducted by the 101st Airborne? That's a long way from the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.

Can you stop being a propagandist for just a moment? The Bull Connor/Pat Buchanan thing is horseshit. All you humanitarian interventionists dismiss questions about who the agent of the intervention is going to be. Unless the government of the U.S. changes drastically - and I'm not talking about a Democrat - there's no way the U.S. military can ever be an instrument of liberation. I've got over 100 years of history on my side. All you have is a pious wish.

Doug