[lbo-talk] Hegemony & Consent Re: Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 7 21:49:26 PDT 2003

At 2:46 PM -0700 4/7/03, Brian O. Sheppard wrote:
>I've found that a lot of people have "clear" views on why the war is
>necessary, alright. What's troubling to me is that often people will offer
>their own sort of armchair quarterbacking opinion on why the war is just,
>and yet this won't have anything to do with Bush and Co.'s own rationale
>is.

The power elite can maintain their hegemony because the hegemonic ideology is ambiguous and contradictory, leaving a lot to the imagination of each individual. It allows many to consent to the actions of the power elite, even without buying the explicit reasons and justifications for them. Consenting to the power elite's hegemony without buying their official reasons and justifications for particular actions has an added benefit, because those who consent feel like they are doing what they are doing without becoming dupes, thinking on their own. -- Yoshie