[lbo-talk] Re: Fwd NYC: Free the Carlyle Group Arrestees --

Paul_A paul_a at igc.org
Mon Apr 7 22:34:00 PDT 2003

Having just got home from where the arrestees where coming out, I can confirm this. I spoke to a number of people who were arrested while only observing/supporting the demonstrators and this was confirmed by legal observers.

Adding insult to injury the NYPD tried once again to detain the arrestees late into the night, even though 95% will only be given an 'appearance ticket' (less than a misdemenor).

Most troubling NYPD has been denying the protestors quick access to their lawyers - yet the police intelligence unit questions them. Questions about what books they read, ideas they have!

This evening the Nat. Lawyers Guild got a writ preventing this. The City appealed (ruled moot since all but 5 people were already out; those are being arranged). That the City would fight something like this shows how much remains of the Guliani-era law approach under Bloomberg.