[lbo-talk] Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 8 07:46:32 PDT 2003

SOVIET UNION Iraqi tactics in the current war — forcing civilians into harm's way, executing innocents who seek refuge — have confirmed the malevolence of their regime, and so Americans seem puzzled by any Iraqi resistance to their liberation. It may perhaps be typically American to expect others to greet our mighty righteousness with gratitude, but there is a larger contradiction at work: we see dictatorships as simultaneously all-powerful and yet completely brittle. Above all, we tend to assume that if a regime uses mass terror, the population must be opposed to it — why else is there a need to terrorize people? We find it difficult to appreciate the coexistence of brutal coercion with broad elements of allegiance — as was the case, for example, in Stalin's Soviet Union. Nor do we understand the social and psychological depth attained by long-lasting dictatorships, how they shape the habits and identities even of their internal enemies. Dictatorships create a shadowy world. An adept dictator, rather than wait for the C.I.A. to recruit malcontents within his regime, organizes a phony conspiracy against himself. And then he hangs anyone who dares to respond, in the ministerial corridors for others to see. Those contemplating revolt cannot distinguish between a solicitation to defect that is genuine and one that is a trap. Outsiders are suspect. As one captured Soviet official told German interrogators during World War II: "We have badly mistreated our people; in fact so bad that it was almost impossible to treat them worse. You Germans have managed to do that. In the long term, the people will choose between the two tyrants the one who speaks their language. Therefore, we will win the war." To me, the Iraqis living under dictatorship and now caught in its violent overthrow appear less puzzling than Americans who talk of building democracies in the Arab world while disparaging government institutions, taxes and public programs at home. Steven Kotkin directs the Russian studies program at Princeton University. <URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/05/arts/05RISE.html > -- Michael Pugliese