[lbo-talk] Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 8 07:05:44 PDT 2003

Nathan Newman wrote:

>That kind of national sovereignty argument is just Bull Connor/Pat Buchanan
>states rights rhetoric taken to the global level as its logical end point.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say - your insistence on this as a precedent is pretty weird. The Southern states are part of the U.S., ultimately under the authority of the federal government. They lost a Civil War fought over these sort of issues. Iraq and Yugoslavia are not part of the U.S., nor were the wars against them authorized by the UN. So unless you think the U.S. is the transcendent global agent of liberation, you should retire this metaphor.

Doug