[lbo-talk] Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 8 08:08:50 PDT 2003

"H. Curtiss Leung" wrote:

> > But my point is that the lack of organizing of that global solidarity and
> > plan on how to help those resisting Hussein is exactly what strengthened the
> > warhawks in arguing that their method was the only way to "liberate Iraq."
> > In practice and in message, there was little or no message by the antiwar
> > movement on how they were acting in solidarity with the oppressed folks
> > within Iraq.
> >
> > And that was the fatal flaw of antiwar organizing.
> >

> That's pure conjecture, and a pretty dubious one at that.

Indeed. This is like saying that the fatal flaw of the Luxemburg Army in 1940 was its failure to condemn traffic regulation in Berlin. Whoever you are quoting simply isn't a serious person. The only rational grounds for such a critique of the anti-war movement would be a desire to trivialize that movement from the inside.

Every mass movement, of course, is always accompanied by such sectarian hangers-on who wish to divert that movement into some drainage ditch for their own purposes.

Carrol