[lbo-talk] Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Tue Apr 8 09:55:39 PDT 2003

Newman writes:
> And Iraq is ultimately under the authority of the United Nations Charter and
> national security council. You oddly reflect the Americanist assumption
> that "national sovereignty" is fully preserved despite a nation signing the
> United Nations treaty.

The NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL? :-) A revealing slip? :-)

How come Iraq is under the authority of the United Nations Charter? The U.S. isn't. The UN is irrelevant, haven't you heard? Gandhi once said that "western civilization" "would be a good idea." Aren't we now at the stage where "international law would be a good idea"? What you call the "Americanist assumption" is more than an assumption. The U.N. Charter was a scrap of paper a month ago. Now it is a scrap of paper which has been used for latrine purposes. Any government that considers itself bound by the U.N. Charter now is a government of dupes and fools. Law that restrains only the powerless and not the powerful has no moral force, and, if you think about it, no practical force either.

LP