[lbo-talk] WBAI's ambitions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 8 12:52:21 PDT 2003

[Don Rojas is the new general manager of WBAI, the station I do my show on. He's a smart guy with good politics (in an earlier life, he was Maurice Bishop's press secretary), and the station seems alive again after years of tension and torpor. He's got ambitions!]

Dear Members of the WBAI Family,

I am pleased to announce the launch of a comprehensive, ongoing campaign towards the goal of expanding our listenership to one million and our membership to 100,000 by the end of 2004 and I invite you all to play an active role in this effort over the next several months.

The unabashed war propagandizing of the corporate media in recent weeks has not only exposed their moral bankruptcy and their hypocritical claims to objectivity and impartiality, it has also underscored the urgent need to strengthen the voices of independent, alternative media.

Hundreds of thousands of people in the Tri-state area who are disgusted with mainstream media's complicity with the White House, the Pentagon and the State Department are searching for alternative media voices like WBAI.

We now have an historic opportunity to capitalize on people's alienation from corporate media by mounting a vigorous campaign to introduce WBAI, and the voices for peace and justice that are heard on our station, to broad sections of the tri-state's public.

Let us work together to bring BAI into the grassroots communities of New York City, New Jersey, Long Island, Connecticut, Rockland and Westchester Counties and into the campuses, the union halls, the churches, the synagogues, the mosques, the high schools, the senior centers all across the listening area.

I am convinced that this project is large enough and has a compelling urgency around which all the constituent parts of the WBAI family can unite and work in harmony---listener activists, staff, producers, volunteers, etc.

I encourage you to work closely with our outreach office on this vital campaign. Submit your ideas, suggestions, proposals, requests by email to outreach at wbai.org or by phone at 212-209-2869, and check out the station's Website regularly for campaign news and updates.

Forward to a WBAI community of a million listeners!!

Peace, Don Rojas, General Manager