[lbo-talk] Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 13:13:45 PDT 2003

> It's kind of amazing the assumption that speeches at rallies should be
forgettable. From union rallies to civil rights rallies, some of the most memorable rhetoric in history, that the media picked up and played over and over again, came from speeches at podiums at such rallies.

Well, sorry, it's a fact. Maybe the speeches are brilliant, I don't know, I barely listen to them, hear a scrap hear, a line there. And I've been going to demos for 33 years. Maybe 34 years. Doubt if I'm unusual. Don't think it shows we're not serious, just that the circumstances are not conducive to close attention to tightly knit analysis.

So, you want to get rid of the rally as ainstrument for social change. Since the bosses have gotten rid of the strike, and the Supreme Court has gotten rid of the election, that doesn't leave much in the nonviolent repetoire. Writing letters maybe.

jks