[lbo-talk] Toward an Anti-Colonial/Anti-Imperial Movement Re: Arguments and alternatives

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 8 13:31:35 PDT 2003

At 8:00 PM +0000 4/8/03, loupaulsen at attbi.com wrote:
>The fact is, you know, that while the Bush administration was
>presenting its own 'cafeteria' of rationales for the war (I rather
>like the metaphor), so was the anti-war movement. All of the
>'dishes' you recommend as part of the ideal anti-war diet were to
>be found on the menu and on the podium of the major demonstrations,
>including ANSWER's. The 'unity' you oppose was a means of bringing
>together people who opposed the war for different reasons into the
>same places at the same times. Why was this "No war! for various
>reasons" idea so bad?

The "No war! for various reasons" idea was practically unavoidable, as there was no coherent left-wing organization that united most Americans who opposed the war. Now that the war has begun, and the US soldiers are in Baghdad, though, some of the anti-war arguments offered before the war began no longer make sense. Either we will be able to build an anti-colonial/anti-imperial movement out of loose networks of anti-war activists, capable of eventually attracting at least three quarters of blacks (and about a third of whites and a half of the rest) willing to fight domestic exploitation and police repression, or the anti-war movement will peter out. It's time for clarification. -- Yoshie