[lbo-talk] Where's the African-American antiwar movement?

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Tue Apr 8 15:23:45 PDT 2003

kelley wrote:
> everyone here who complains about the antiwar movement
> needing to be advanced because its criticisms aren't radical
> enough wants to co-opt it for their own political aims.
>
> when a black bloc organizes to critique the limitations of the
> anti-globalization mmovement it wants to advance the
> anti-globalization movement's self-understanding. when we
> discuss ways to criticize "support the troops" slogans, then we
> want to push the antiwar movement beyond its current self-
> understanding.
>
> it's time to say, "so what?"

Yep. Someone gets flustered, puffs up, and decries you for having ends that others _disagree_ with, and having the audacity to _organize_ to acheive them! :-O It's a betrayal of the American People(TM).

In other words, it remindes me of this (previously fwd'd to the list):

"'Agenda' is the current swear word -- say anyone has such a thing and he or she is instantly disqualified from expressing an opinion. Apparently only the directionless or clueless are worth listening to."

-- Gary Wills

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com