[lbo-talk] Jihad vs. the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Re Iraq war....

Thiago Oppermann thiago_oppermann at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 8 19:19:06 PDT 2003

On 9/4/2003 3:13 AM, "lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org" <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> wrote:

>> What would a modern-day Abraham Lincoln Brigade have done in Iraq? What
>> could one do *anywhere* in the world, in our era?
>>
>> Brian
>
> Fight alongside Kurds, I guess -- I can't imagine any true pwog advocating
> fighting alongside Ba'athists. And besides, none of our campus Leninists are
> gonna pick up a rifle anytime soon.
>
> The last ALB-type operation was in Nicaragua. But there, one had something
> to fight for. In Iraq, unless one sided with anti-Saddam guerrillas, there
> was only regime defense, which, at this point, is fairly moot.
>
> DP

Didn't the ALB fight along the PSUC and the Stalinists, eventually destroying the revolution? Weren't they mostly Stalinists themselves? I wonder if this is the sort of precedent that people want to draw.

On a related note, I am told that there were a number of Australians who went to East Timor to fight along Fretilin, which faced pretty dismal odds. In my opinion, organising that on a large scale would have been the preferable course of action there.

Thiago Oppermann