[lbo-talk] Re: Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Apr 8 22:30:56 PDT 2003

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> I think lefties complain too much about how the big media suck, and
>> should spend more time cultivating our own media. But still, it's not
>> like we've got Rupert Murdoch's cash and credit lines. How can "we"
>
>ChuckO:
>You gotta start somewhere. We do an excellent job at creating an
>alternative to the big media, but we haven't done a very good job of
>subverting the media, not to mention a direct assault on the media with
>our own pundits and programming.
>
>The Heritage Foundation, Cato, and other conservative thinks tanks don't
>have Rupert Murdoch's cash, yet they are very good at using the
>mainstream media to convey their ideology. Of course, their ideology
>dovetails with the ideology of those that run the media corporations,
>but have we tried to replicate what the right has done? How about other
>avenues?

Try Free Speech TV on the Dish network. We get it at our local radical infoshop, the Civic Media Center. FSTV carries Democracy Now (yes, they carry video of the radio show, with added graphics, etc.) as well as excellent documentaries, repeated frequently, some regular news programming, funny shorts, etc. It's quite uncompromising.

The radio situation locally is not a case of us not trying. Our local micro station was shut down by the FCC twice, of course they stole the equipment both times. The CMC applied for a low power license and now there's some question whether these will ever be issued, but there are five entities vying for the two available spots on the dial. Someone asked why anyone would listen to NPR (National Patriotic Radio)--it's either that or music with 2 minute national news bites on the hour. Oh, and a talk station where the programming is back-to-back Michael Savage types. Of course, if we had the cash we could buy a real station. Must be nice.

For the print media expansion requires up front money. In Gainesville we have two independent monthlies. One (the more entertainment oriented one) tried to go weekly but their small staff about did themselves in. The one I co-edit (circulation 5000) has a limiting factor that those of us who do the work (more than write an occasional article) all have other jobs, so greater length or frequency would require paid staff, which is unaffordable given our financial base of subscribers and advertisers. It would still be unaffordable if we tripled that income, actually.

A group of environmentalists and local politicians, fed up with the daily NYT paper here, got together several years ago and tried to start a competing daily. The startup money required was tremendous but they worked hard to get advance subscriptions and secure investors and advertisers. The numbers never added up, big advertisers had no incentive to help another daily get started, since it could potentially double their ad expenses. I should mention that the right wingers occasionally get a grant to do a stupid paper on campus for a couple of years. They're a clear case of having the money but lacking the dedication, talent or readership to persist.

Jenny Brown