Successes of the antiwar movement? (Re: [lbo-talk] Re: WBAI's ambitions

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 9 11:46:18 PDT 2003

Nathan:
> to the uncommitted. And it was precisely that middle 40% of
> the population that was lost during the public debate over
> the last few months.
>
> That was a failure by the antiwar movement. You may think it
> was inevitable due to the power of the opposition. I don't.

That assumes that the said 40% was winnable by the anti-war movement, had it used a diferent strategy. I doubt that assumption. I am yet find any historical evidence of a peace movement's ever being able to turn any significant part of the public against the war in the initial stages of the conflict (later stateges are a different story). Collective violence is like porn - few men can resist it.

Wojtek