[lbo-talk] Trotsky and Gramsci

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at depaul.edu
Wed Apr 9 12:14:40 PDT 2003

Brian wrote: "It's amazing to me that when Marxists lag along 20+ years after anarchist analysis and activity, it's nevertheless Marxists that get the credit for the "breakthrough." In this case, it's Gramsci and Trotsky in the 1920's - 1930's we have to thank for telling us that the power of the state can be countered by grassroots organizations and labor groups. Wow, thank you Marxist Intellectuals."

OK, let's see: Trotsky takes an ax to the brain at the hands of Stalin, Gramsci's body slowly deteriorates in the most gruesome way imaginable (read his prison letters and you'll see) in Mussolini's jails...and an anarchist pisses and moans that they get credit for something that "people on the shopfloor" already knew. I guess it's now official. It doesn't matter how much you give up for the struggle....if you're a commie, you're only good as an anarchist whipping boy.