[lbo-talk] What now?

cuito61 at onebox.com cuito61 at onebox.com
Wed Apr 9 15:30:09 PDT 2003

Perhaps I've just been watching and listening to just a little too much of the corporate media today, but damn, has the left and the anti-war movement just been knocked on its ass (even if only temporarily)?

I mean, we of course have been bombarded over and over by the image of the saddam statue coming down (which is something that anyone should feel good about, yet it feels so hard to do so given the circumstances), arab-americans in michigan waving american flags, cheerful iraqis, proclamation of the "liberation" of baghdad, etc.

How should our analysis change now, if at all? what's the new set of "talking points?" Am I simply being too pessimistic? Is the real problem the media which is hyping up only the positive aspects (in terms of american interests and the bush administration) and ignoring whatever negative aspects are still going on or will soon be happening? What happened to our predictions about heavy casualties and fierce fighting in baghdad? are these just not getting reported?

I guess one of the few things i can find comfort in all of this is the realization that the problems of the world, of the american people and even the iraqi people are not embodied in one statue or one man; that this is in essence a huge PR stunt to distract people from the real issues... but damn, they sure made it look good.

thoughts?