[lbo-talk] Re:Optimism or pessimism

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Wed Apr 9 15:21:41 PDT 2003

At 02:54 PM 04/09/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>So do I. And I don't know. Right now I'm having to contend with the
>standard Wall Street line that the war's end is giving a boost to
>confidence, so Americans will celebrate by buying more stuff. Just
>typing that made me feel sicker.

I feel sick too. I think a lot of people do. The stories coming out of Iraq - the "shoot anything that moves" stuff is sick...and it won't get better. After all....What's the plan? Put the old Baathists back in power, minus Saddam, and suck out all the oil...and continue to beat the war drum....while Israel intensifies its local horror show.

The stock market plunged today now that folks have a second to look at earnings, more layoffs are pending...and a lot of people are overextended. The housing bubble is waiting to go pop. I'm not going shopping. I'm willing to bet the shopping celebration will be short to nonexistent.

Joanna