[lbo-talk] Re: WBAI's ambitions

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 16:08:58 PDT 2003

> So you don't think that the fall of Saddam opens up
> positive
> possibilities for the Iraqi people? And you don't
> think a lot of
> people in Baghdad are happy at this prospect?

Yes on both counts.

My sincere hope is that they can realize those possibilities (I'm not terribly optimistic here), and that this doesn't end as another Afghanistan. Insofar as much more than a few desolate mountain peaks and a few million of the world's poorest are at stake, I don't think we'll see Afghan-style abandonment. Insofar as there's to be had and leveraged, I'm afraid it could end with exile-enforced repression on a familiar scale.