[lbo-talk] Fisk: A once-oppressed people walking like giants

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 19:05:46 PDT 2003

" And there has to be a first soldier – of the occupying or liberating kind – who stands at the very front of the first column of every vast and powerful army. So I walked up to Corporal David Breeze of the 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, from Michigan. He hadn't spoken to his parents for two months so I called his mother on my satellite phone and from the other side of the world, Mrs Breeze came on the line and I handed the phone to her son.

And so this is what the very first soldier to enter the centre of Baghdad told his family yesterday evening. "Hi you guys. I'm in Baghdad.

"I'm ringing to say 'Hi! I love you. I'm doing fine. I love you guys. The war will be over in a few days. I'll see you all soon.'' "

http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=395707