[lbo-talk] Iraqis looove America

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Apr 10 08:36:57 PDT 2003

HCL:
> The looting stuff makes me laugh--bitterly, but still...
>
> The relevant point for today
> being that Iraqis aren't celebrating Saddam's fall but going hogwild in
> the absence of any legtimate authority--and hell, I would too.

There is also the "rational self-interest" aspect of it all. Let's say I live in Baghdad. I would like to stay alive and keep my family alive in the future. How am I going to do that? The social fabric is shot. (I have to laugh bitterly when I read that 'the sanctions are over'. The sanctions on WHAT? Who in Iraq is going to be able to buy anything? Who in Iraq has any wealth now?) The economy is largely ruined. Most of the economy in food depended on the UN oil-for-food program. This is ruined also. When will it be re-established? I am not sure that the Iraqi dinar has experienced 150% inflation as the NYT article suggested, but how about 95%? 98%? How about bank deposits? When can I get my money out of the bank? How about my paycheck? Hmmmm? The whole country is going to be miserable and anarchic. Maybe my family and I should get out. How?

In this situation, the goods that people are appropriating today may be the only 'hard currency' that can be bartered for food, ammunition, or passage out of the country tomorrow.

LP