[lbo-talk] AFL-CIO organizing strategy

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at depaul.edu
Thu Apr 10 09:02:31 PDT 2003

Brian wrote: "No one in the AFL-CIO can tell me that since the

anti-globalization movement there aren't scores of younger people that

would love to get involved with the labor movement as volunteers and

unpaid organizers. The problem, in part, is a stubborn social

conservatism, and, where I live at least, something along the lines of a

good ol' boys network of labor higher-ups, where the energy and vitality

of younger, enthused people simply isn't wanted. This seems to be the

case elsewhere, as socially conservative but fiscally liberal/moderate

bureaucrats prove to be highly resistant to and suspicious of a new

generation of organizers."

Every year the AFL-CIO comes to my university to recruit students for Union Summer and the Organizing Institute. I doubt there's a major university they don't hit. And they always have more slots available than takers. But no, they probably don't want "volunteers and unpaid organizers." They want people they pay who will do as they're told. If that's too much union bureaucracy for you, then you're going to find yourself at odds with every trade union in the world.

The Labor Notes folks are way out ahead of Brad in their analysis here. The problem isn't lack of recruiting among the young and energetic. The problem is the lack of a strategy to turn the rank and file into organizers. "Every member an organizer" trumps "tap youthful energy and enthusiasm" every time? Why? Because youthful energy and enthusiasm eventually gets bored and goes away. These are middle class folks who will usually eventually choose to pursue their much more lucrative career options. The rank and file, on the other hand, lack an easy exit option, and therefore stay with the fight for the long haul.