[lbo-talk] Vive La France?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 10 10:43:20 PDT 2003

Lou:
> you do that very thing for Jacques Chirac. I am not interested
> in "pillorying" you or anyone, but aren't you in fact making
> yourself an
> apologist for Jacques Chirac with much less justification?
> Indeed, from my
> point of view, many of the arguments that I get into with people are
> incorporated in the question of whether it isn't just as bad,
> OR WORSE, to be
> an apologist for Jacques Chirac as it is to be an "apologist
> for Saddam
> Hussein."

Jaques Chirac, Saddam Hussein, George Bush ..... You do not really think it is about individuals, do you? No matter how repulsive or charming a politician representing a country is, it is the broader international relations that matter. Do you think that failing to aid the USSR in the WW II effort because Stalin was an abominable monster would be a good idea? I do not.

Curbing US unilateralism and belligerence is a good thing for the rest of the world and 95 % of its population. If accomplishing that goal takes forming pacts with leaders whose reputation is less than stellar - so be it. A Bush with his finger on the most destructive war machinery ever created is a greater threat to the world peace, stablity, and prosperity than a Saddam commanding a bunch of poorly armed and trained fanatics.

Wojtek