[lbo-talk] Iraqis looove America

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 11:09:37 PDT 2003

Well, not being in Bagdhad and speaking with a lot of people makes it difficult to understand what the various feelings of the people might be. Certainly, as you suggest Brian, there are people who, out of a sense of opportunism or just plain old survival instinct, are going to support whomever the victors are.

On the other hand, Hussein was a repressive mo-fo and people are going to be happy to be rid of him. That happiness and relief may temporarily overide any preoccupations people might have about American occupation. There will be Iraqis who at first applaud the Americans as liberatiors. Does that surprize people here? It doesnt surprize me. If people are going to count on "progressive" things being done by governments and armies, they had better get several cases of Jack Daniels, 'cause it aint going to happen.

Later on there will be more resistance but there will also be a comprador class of Iraqis who benefit from the invasion. In a few months (or probably sooner), after the honeymoon is over with the Iraqi people this comprador element is the one who will be appearing on our nightly news broadcasts. My ideal scenario would have been that the US get bogged down and leave Iraq, followed by the mobilized people toppling the Hussein government. Apparently that is not going to be happen. Why get depressed over it? There will be further resistance.

-Thomas