[lbo-talk] "The end of the tunnel" (was: boston globe reporter etc.

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Apr 10 12:58:02 PDT 2003

> Steve wrote:
> > ---uhmm...where did i state i was rejoicing at the deaths? God, you're
> > reaching Hitchens standards on that one. It is obvious from what I wrote
> > that I'm rejoicing at the CNN Party Line being broken down once again.
>
> Well, yes, but for the party line to be broken down, very bad things have to
> happen. I find it remarkable that opponents of the war are depressed that
> it's end is in clear sight.
> -- Luke

That actually is almost exactly what Hitchens wrote.

You really have a hard time with the idea that the U.S. conquest of Iraq is a bad thing?

Suppose someone said, "I find it remarkable that opponents of the destruction of the rain forest are depressed that its end is in clear sight." Would that make as much sense as you do?

In any case, the end is in clear sight only if you leave out or discount the anarchy part, the internecine struggle part, the guerrilla war part, and so on.

LP