[lbo-talk]Arab News: Bush's Body Language Speaks Volumes

Thu Apr 10 15:06:06 PDT 2003

Exclusive: Bush's Body Language Speaks Volumes Dr. Mohammad T. Al-Rasheed, comments at d-corner.com

Watching George W. Bush deliver his speeches is becoming more alarming as his diction and body language become ever so transparently arrogant. Only people who are oblivious to the Other as a living concept are capable of such behavior. The President issues statements that polarize and divide: "You are either with us or with them" is the most obvious. There are plenty of such declarations that an elected official is not supposed to contemplate, let alone utter. This diction is the linguistic realm of the dictator who has to answer to no one.

When it comes to body language, Bush speaks volumes. The fixed stare in his eyes is boyish, as he declares something as Biblical as "the day of reckoning is near." He awaits the applause from the "safe" crowds of servicemen and women as a little child awaits the teacher's commendations. The posture seems to say, "How did I do in this recitation of my Sunday school homework?" Not bad, Mr. President. But then, we are not in a Sunday school. The forced spring in his step and his quasi-military salute to the Marine by the helicopter tell us that the man is getting too confident in his performance. This sort of confidence is usually of the strutting type, which means it comes from the inability to step back and look at one's actions.

More..

http://www.arabnews.com/Article.asp?ID=24991