[lbo-talk] Boston Globe Reporter just reported 23-24 marines deadtoday, source is marines

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 10 16:31:08 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Luke Weiger wrote:
>
> >I acknowledge the worry, but remember that Bush's term is coming to an end
> >soon. Unless he wins a second term, he won't have the time to wage wars
> >against Syria and Iran (for various reasons, the two other countries on your
> >list aren't in any real danger).
>
> Ah, but all we need is a war or terrorist event in the summer of
> 2004, and he's back in a landslide. Maybe I'm too pessimistic.

No Democrat nominee will even promise to remove the troops from Iraq, let alone do it. And the troops can't stay there long without generating the situation the seeger song portrayed, "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy, and the Damn Fool Said, Wade on."

Eventually (no time table) the Arab & Iranian resistance will make the mideeast untenable for u.s. troops (though that will take a lot of u.s. casualties before anyone will believe it) -- and we will need a new Nixon to pull the u.s. out.

There is no need to exult in anyone's death -- but the hope for humanity does reside in large u.s. casualties in the Middle East.

On various wishes. The proverb, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

Carrol