[lbo-talk] Nostalgia

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Thu Apr 10 16:41:47 PDT 2003

Ian wrote:

> So, the aesthetes of slave and feudal societies were more "in touch"
> with
> the "idea" of humanity than proletarians who go bowling or play video
> games? Please. Oh, and what's the use of the pomo framing/"scare"
> quotes
> of/around idea? Whose idea. Is there only one?

I would think e.g. Aristotle was, he originated a great deal of its content. I don't think he had the techne required to build the Parthenon though. You don't say enough about these "proletarians" to indicate whether they do. You do say enough, though, to demonstrate that you don't understand what Marx means by the "complete emptiness" of the "fully developed proletariat".

The quotes around "idea" are meant to point to the Hegel/Marx idea of humanity as the being with the potential to become a "universally developed individual", the idea I've just again been elaborating. This isn't the only one. It's different from yours for example.

Ted