RES: Successes of the antiwar movement? (Re: [lbo-talk] Re: WBAI's ambitions

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Thu Apr 10 17:35:24 PDT 2003

But one of the antiwar movement's big problems is that the moral rhetoric of American peaceniks ("violence is not the answer" "no blood for oil" et cetera) does not map onto the prudential--realist--case that we should sacrifice the well-being of Iraqis to create a calmer and more orderly world. And if you don't map onto the realist case, you run an immense danger of falling into the role of apologists for what really was a very bad dictatorship.

Brad DeLong

-This is really quite disturbing, I think. Maybe the big trouble -here is the inability of the antiwar movement in helping the -Iraqi people. There are no progressive forces in Iraq we could -have supported, so we had to choose between a brutal dictator -a brutal agression war which will, at best, result in a less -brutal dictatorship, but only at a high cost in suffering for -the Iraqi people. It´s hard to rely on Saddam to contain US -imperialism. We live in hard times.....However, I still think -this reactonary war can have some unintended progressive -consequences.

Alexandre Fenelon