[lbo-talk] Anti-war realists (was Re: Successes of the antiwar movement?)

Timothy Francis-Wright twright at ziplink.net
Thu Apr 10 21:41:44 PDT 2003

Brad DeLong wrote:
> Well, the real problem was that the antiwar movement was trying to
> make a moral argument against the war, when the real argument against
> the war was a realist one. After all, all the real arguments that
> Saddam Hussein should have been allowed to keep his throne in Baghdad
> were procedural and prudential: [...]
>
> But one of the antiwar movement's big problems is that the moral
> rhetoric of American peaceniks ("violence is not the answer" "no
> blood for oil" et cetera) does not map onto the
> prudential--realist--case that we should sacrifice the well-being of
> Iraqis to create a calmer and more orderly world. And if you don't
> map onto the realist case, you run an immense danger of falling into
> the role of apologists for what really was a very bad dictatorship.

Indeed, back in September 2002, the best realists in academia made a number of excellent arguments against war, but proceeded to make almost no impact on public opinion.

In his Nation column a few weeks ago, Eric Alterman expressed dismay that Hollywood types were the vanguard of the anti-war forces. I argued in the letters section of this week's Nation that realist scholars made their arguments at the right time but made a hash at communicating, let alone resonating, with the public. (The pdf file of the academics' 26 September ad in the New York Times is at http://www.bear-left.com/archive/2002/Op-Ed.pdf)

--tim francis-wright