[lbo-talk] Alternative Forms of Worker Organizing...

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 11 00:25:22 PDT 2003

June 27-June 29, 2003 in New York City

Join us for a conference on alternative forms of labor organizing in NYC! What do we mean by alternative forms of labor organizing and why talk about it now? It's no secret that the American labor movement is facing a crisis. Labor law makes it difficult to organize, even in the most ideal conditions. Entrenched bureaucracies dominate too many of our unions. Even when a workplace is successfully organized, too often the contracts leave intact the bosses' ability to reorganize work and shut down the workplace.

We need to think about alternative forms of worker organizing--forms that do not rely on NLRB certification and that build workers' power on the job. In recent years, we have seen the emergence of workers centers, minority unions, community-based organizing and other attempts by workers to organize themselves outside of the traditional framework.

We see self-organizing as the best way to build a strong labor movement. We think that many groups of workers around the country have been experimenting with these new ideas. The purpose of getting together in New York at the end of June is to share the experiences of groups of workers who use alternative models of organizing. Please join us!

In Solidarity,

Staughton Lynd, Manny Ness & Alexis Buss

For more info: juneconference at iww.org or (215) 222-1905

===== "the great enemy of clear language is insincerity"--George Orwell