[lbo-talk] 10k prowar hardhats

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 11 07:46:03 PDT 2003

[no word on which unions, and 10k - a generous estimate, no doubt - is pretty small, but "periodic chants of 'U.S.A!'" can compensate for paltry numbers]

New York Post - April 11, 2003

10,000 PATRIOTS RALLY 'ROUND THE FLAG AT GROUND ZERO By NEIL GRAVES

New York's labor unions stood front and center yesterday to lend their voices in support of U.S. troops with a noontime rally at Ground Zero.

The supporters, about 10,000 of them, flooded some five blocks up West Broadway. They said they came to act as a counterbalance to the huge anti-war rallies that some felt had received far too much media coverage.

Charles McInnis, 27, of Boston by way of Valley Stream, L.I., said he may have to report to the war zone any day to serve as an Air Force captain.

"I haven't seen much TV supporting our troops, so I said, 'Screw this, I'm going to the rally,' " said McInnis, 27, who put in five months in Kurdistan during the Afghanistan conflict.

Chris Pedersen, 40, Trumbull, Conn., wore his flag like a Superman cape.

"I've seen too many anti-war protesters parading, and it's about time we showed our colors," he said.

The crowd - which erupted into periodic chants of "U.S.A.! U.S.A.!" - heard rousing speeches from Gov. Pataki and former Sen. Bob Dole, among others.