[lbo-talk] is this your liberation?

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Fri Apr 11 10:09:10 PDT 2003

> "Is this your liberation?" screamed one shopkeeper at the crew of a
> U.S. Abrams tank as youths helped themselves to everything in his
> small hardware store.

[Expressing doubts, eh, shopkeeper? We'll see about that:]

US troops kill merchant defending shop against looters 1 hour, 12 minutes ago Add Mideast - AFP to My Yahoo!

BAGHDAD (AFP) - US soldiers shot and killed a Baghdad shopkeeper who was defending his shop with a Kalashnikov assault rifle against looters, neighbours told an AFP photographer.

The merchant pulled his rifle on the thieves when they began sacking the shop, neighbours said.

When US soldiers approached the area, the looters told them that the shopkeeper was a member of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s Fedayeen paramilitary force.

The American troops opened fire with heavy machine guns, killing the man, the neighbors said.

The photographer saw the covered body of Mohammad al-Barheini, 25, lying on a shelf of his shop, his head in a bag, on the Al-Rashid commercial street in the capital.