[lbo-talk] Three Kings

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Apr 11 11:54:07 PDT 2003

> You're probably right. I wonder, though, if the Iraqis would've been
better
> off after a successful internal revolution than they will end up during
and
> after the current US occupation. I don't really know how to answer that
> question, and I suppose it doesn't have a single answer.
>
> -- Luke

Hard to say. In '91, the Iraqi people had yet to go through 12 years of crippling sanctions (which weakened them, the Kurds excepted, who had a US/UK umbrella). The bottom line, however, is that without a centralized power base to keep the competing nationalisms and religious sects in check, it's tough to envision a "unified" Iraq, much less a "democratic" one.

DP