[lbo-talk] Price of patriotism: $50K

David Jennings djenning at arches.uga.edu
Fri Apr 11 14:19:16 PDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Miles Jackson wrote:
>
> >Okay, that clinches it--we need to nominate Doug to be a correspondent
> >on the Daily Show.
>
> Awww thanks. Speaking of the Daily Show, last night's guest was
> Dennis Miller, who spewed a toxic stream of racist jokes about Iraqis
> (of course) and then French and Germans (of course). Really vile
> stuff. I always thought he was an asshole, but has he always been
> this much of an asshole?

The answer would be no, but he's been working at it for a while.

Here's something on DM from someone who used to write for him. -d

I have received several e-mails about Dennis Miller spewing hatred on The Tonight Show a few days ago. From what I'm told, he expressed great contempt for the French and total disdain for the well-being of innocents in Iraq. I believe the letters because I have seen him express similar Jurassic views on other programs. We thought he had bottomed out when he became the sportscasting equivalent of William Shatner/lounge singer, but it now appears he won't be happy until he gets a show on the Fox News Channel.

I used to write for Miller in 1992, when he had a syndicated talk show. During the program's one season, Miller went from endorsing Jerry Brown to becoming a big Ross Perot supporter. A political impulse-buyer, his ideological cannon was never lashed very securely to the deck. Over the years, the cannon somehow became lodged on the starboard side of the vessel. Each time Miller receives a paycheck, he seems to take it to a bank further to the right of the last one. And now, more than a decade since I wrote my last joke for the man, I can only watch in stupefaction as this once hip and inside comic completes his transformation into a lout whose act sounds as if it were ghostwritten by George Jessel. Actually, that's not fair ... to George Jessel.

[... http://tinyurl.com/9c8w]