[lbo-talk] Two Takes

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 15:15:00 PDT 2003

It is unbelievable how far and how fast Hitch has fallen. One can only imagine what the old Hitch would have made of this dreck. I can dimly imagine a defense of the Iraq war along Luke's (or Brad's) neo-imperialist lines: Yer, the US mission is cynical and imperialist. But its target, however opportunistically chosen, is far worse, and deserving of destruction. The Iraqis, being wogs and all, are incapable of self-emancipation, so it is better that they be half-freed by our thugs than totally enslaved by, well, our old thugs. That message is at least coarsely honest and tolerably consistent, if hopelessly atomistic. (By this I mean it refuses to look at the context and causes of US imperialism, and evaluates each case individually.) But the crap that Hitch is now spewing about lofty purpose and flags lovingly kept against the day of liberation, my God. It is difficult to express my distress at the overthrow of his mind. It has been levelled by the Marines more thoroughly than Saddam's palaces. jks

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:Dennis Perrin wrote:

>Compare this:
>
><http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=396051>
>
>to this:
>
><http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12829827&method=full&siteid=50143>
>
>That is, if they are in any way comparable.

Hitch says: "Try to imagine the person who treasured a copy of the old national flag, day in and day out, so that it could be waved again on the day of liberation." I'm imagining someone from Langley, or from Hill & Knowlton, but perhaps I'm too cynical.