[lbo-talk] Gulag query (private/state education)

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 11 23:59:53 PDT 2003

I think the difference in quality of education in the Anglosphere v. continental Europe & Ibero-America probably _is_ cultural.

For example, based on my own experiences, I don't think private/elite education in Australia is much better that the state system. I went to a Methodist high school here (where one of my teachers, a Catholic, actually described Methodists as being "like Protestant Jesuits") and we frequently had classes of about 40 kids, which was probably more than many state schools at the time and some crappy teachers, including a fair number of pedophiles apparently. According to friends the Catholic schools at the time were no better, probably worse.

State schools, if only those in elite socio-economic areas, regularly beat us in terms of average exam results too. In fact, when I was a journalist, a conservative MP told me she took her son out of an elite private school and he was doing a lot better at the local state school (in a leafy suburb of course).

Nevertheless, I have leftist friends who say they will send their kids to private schools, usually because of their own experiences at state schools ... I just tell them not to waste their money.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexandre Fenelon" <afenelon at zaz.com.br> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 11:23 AM Subject: RES: [lbo-talk] Gulag query

Admittedly,