[lbo-talk] Re: worker's paradise

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Sat Apr 12 07:49:21 PDT 2003

Ahh the wonders of email. Tatu and Zhores Medvedev int he same thread!

Apologies if my posts sound out of it the last few days. I have been deleting a lot of LBO unread due to time constraints. The gainful employment has its benefits, but...

Anyhow, thanks for the alert about Tatu T-shirts. I was also going to post that aTatu showed up on AOL's music demos page the other day, in their "Khui Voine" T-shirts no less. (Maybe I'm just a shy person, but it's more obscene than I usually write on email lists. If anyone objects to obscenity--on this list?--how about averting your eyes?)

I actually already made my own T-shirt! For some eccentric reason I got a pink shirt even before I knew of Code Pink. I have been wearing the shirt a lot at demos, but I find myself trying to avoid getting in the face of all the Russians of a certain age on the bus.

But speaking of Russians of a certain age, one more time on Tatu's album title: "200 km / hour in the Wrong Lane" in English, though I think I have seen articles that call it "200 km/ hour in the Wrong Direction". I wondered what the Russian is, so thanks. Now for a few minutes of early morning literary analysis ramble:

"vstrechoy" is more like "oncoming" lane. Equally important, and consistent with all the love themes on the album "vstrechnoy" also echoes with one word for dating. So head on car crash romances at 200 km/ hour for all!

But "Nas Ne Dogonyat" will also subtly resonate with the old Soviet slogan "Gnat' i Peregnat'," "Catch up and Overtake," what all good patriotic Sovs were supposed to be doing to the West instead of running off together for wild individual romantic love.

Of course the Russian lyrics on the album liner are even tinier than the English, so I cannot ramble on that theme any more until I find a legible website, but maybe this is enough damage anyway.

DoreneC