[lbo-talk] U.S. Offers Reward for News on Saddam, WMD

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 12 14:46:25 PDT 2003

What's wrong with this news story?? (I'll tell you.) The U.S. has to offer reward money to find the WMD's? But I thought we HAD the "evidence" and "intelligence" proving the existance and location of weapons of mass destruction. Does this mean we never did? And that therefore, we never had evidence that Saddam constituted a "threat"? And that therefore, this war was entirely unprovoked and illegal?

How come no one is raising this discrepancy?

U.S. Offers Reward for News on Saddam, WMD Sat April 12, 2003 12:24 PM ET AS SAYLIYA CAMP, Qatar (Reuters) - The U.S. military is offering rewards for news that could help its forces capture Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and his aides or find weapons of mass destruction, but declined to name the price on Saddam's head. U.S. Army Brigadier General Vincent Brooks told a briefing at Central Command in Qatar on Saturday that a rewards program had been set up to pay for information "leading to the capture of key leaders."

A day earlier Brooks unveiled pictures of 55 "wanted" men from Saddam's administration, whom the United States wants chased, caught or killed.

"There are even more beyond that of lesser importance to the (Saddam) regime, but nevertheless of interest to us," he said.

Brooks said rewards were also on offer for information about possible weapons of mass destruction programs and the location of hidden weapons caches.

"I won't be too specific about prices. The price tags vary, (but) we think (they are) appropriate prices," he said.

Since launching a war on March 20 to overthrow Saddam and rid Iraq of its alleged weapons of mass destruction, the U.S. has not been able to track down the Iraqi leader.

"Some regime leaders have been killed...but we don't have any specific reports on that particular individual," Brooks said. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030412/6fad8758/attachment.htm>