[lbo-talk] Re: Cuba petition

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Apr 13 14:19:40 PDT 2003

Luke Weiger wrote:

I'm still waiting for a good answer to a question I've
>> asked here many times: how would you & other petition signers go
>> about defending a revolutionary government against the machinations
>> of the U.S., which would want to destroy you? There are real spies
>> and plotters in Cuba, run from Miami and Langley.
>
>Which was, incidentally, the same sort of rationale used by the
>McCarthiests.

-Ok, so you don't have an answer to the question. Next?

What is a spy? Someone who is handing over Cuban military secrets? I haven't even seen accusations that those currently being sent to prison have done that. They are being accused of seeking the overthrow of the Cuban regime, which I have no doubt they are guilty of. They are accused of taking money from foreign governments.

All so what? That's all part of free speech.

I am against US groups receiving money from foreign governments being thrown in jail as well.

And I will denounce both the US and Cuban governments for doing so.

And I think doing so is the best way for the left in the US to maintain the moral legitimacy that allows it to oppose US militarism. So denuniciations of Cuban repression is the best way for the left to be in the position to advocate against militarism against the Cuban people.

-- Nathan Newman