[lbo-talk] Re: Cuba petition

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Apr 13 14:51:41 PDT 2003

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 17:19:40 -0400 "Nathan Newman" <nathanne at nathannewman.org> writes:
> [...]

I find something rather naive about this position, in terms of the likely consequences that leftist criticisms of Cuba will have. I would submit that to the extent that people like Nathan criticize Cuba, this will provide further grist to the US propoganda mill, which will be more than eager to point out that even "notorious leftists" like Nathan Newman criticize Cuba as being repressive. This sort of criticism is not likely to improve the state of civil liberties in Cuba, but is likely to make Uncle Sam's job of justifying action against Cuba, a bit easier, just as leftist criticism of Saddam Hussein's regime did little to mitigate that regime's repressiveness but did help to make it easier for Bush & Blair to legitimize their war against Iraq.

Jim F.